The Kentucky Attorney General issued the following open records and open meetings decisions last week:
1. 23-ORD-098 (In re: Dennis Bell/McCracken County Judge-Executive)
Summary: The McCracken County Judge-Executive did not violate the Open Records Act when he directed the Appellant to the official custodian of the requested records.
2. 23-ORD-099 (In re: Dennis Bell/McCracken Circuit Court Clerk)
Summary: The Open Records Act does not apply to records of the McCracken Circuit Court Clerk.
3. 23-ORD-100 (In re: Rusty Weddle/Luther Luckett Correctional Complex)
Summary: The Luther Luckett Correctional Complex did not violate the Open Records Act when it withheld records pertaining to an investigation because the investigation had not been completed at the time of the request, or when it denied a request for records that do not contain a specific reference to the requesting inmate.
4. 23-ORD-101 (In re: Uriah Pasha/Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex)
Summary: The Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex did not violate the Open Records Act when it denied a request for records because it did not possess records responsive to the request.
5. 23-ORD-102 (In re: Quincy Bailey/Green River Correctional Complex)
Summary: The Green River Correctional Complex did not violate the Open Records Act when it denied a request for JPay emails exchanged between private parties because such records are not “public records” under KRS 61.870(2).
6. 23-OMD-103 (In re: Larry G. Bryson/Laurel County Board of Education)
Summary: In appeals to the Office under the Open Meetings Act, the Office cannot resolve factual disputes or determine the credibility of witnesses. Accordingly, the Office cannot find that the Laurel County Board of Education violated KRS 61.810(2) by holding a series of less-than-quorum meetings.
7. 23-ORD-104 (In re: Ricky Bernard Jones/Green River Correctional Complex)
Summary: The Green River Correctional Complex did not violate the Open Records Act when it denied a request for a record that, if released, would constitute a security threat under KRS 197.025(1).